We’ve all wanted at some point in our lives to try and make a dish we once saw in our favourite anime, but we’ve always struggled to find the right ingredients with their limited availability in our country.
For all of you Japanese food fans, or especially Yuri on Ice fans, we are recreating the iconic Katsudon as seen in the series.
What is Katsudon?
The Katsudon is a deep fried pork cutlet on top of rice, with a sweet and salty sauce and an egg and vegetables on top. (Vegetables only garnish the dish, as they are optional and don’t play a big role in the recipe.)
Seeing as we generally don’t eat pork in Tunisia, we decided to use chicken in our recipe instead, which came out equally as delicious as the original recipe when we tried it out.
Let’s get cooking!
What you’ll need (for 1 bowl)
- 1 slice of chicken breast.
- 1 cup of rice.
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 egg
- Beaten eggs, bread crumbs, flour (to wrap up the chicken breast before frying)
- 2 tbs of soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar
For the optional vegetable garnish:
- 1/8 chopped onion
- Some green peas
Let’s get started! はじめましょう！
1. Wash the rice and then cook it in a pot filled with water with a pinch of salt and vinegar until it soaks it up. Tenderise the chicken breast with your hands gently so that the meat fibers don’t break.
2. Coat the chicken breast with egg wash, then wrap it up with flour and then again with the egg wash and breadcrumbs (it is preferable if you double the process with the breadcrumbs twice)
3. Fry the chicken breast until it’s golden on both sides.
4. In a bowl, mix the soy sauce, sugar, your onions and peas and then add in your chicken breast and a beaten egg with it.
5. Put your cooked rice in a bowl, and add the sauce on top of it.
And you’re done, enjoy your delicious Yuri on Ice Katsudon!
JET Press Team